WiFi works … if you connect

There are a few simple steps to make sure students have a great connection.

By Bryn Borzillo, News Editor

Phones are always growing and changing. It seems as though every few months, Apple comes out with a new iPhone. It has become a necessity in many people’s lives.

Walking through the hallway, students check their social media with their earbuds in, and take pictures of one another.

With all this focus centered around a cellphone, one can see why students would easily become frustrated when they “have no service” or “can’t get on the Wi-Fi.”

People use Wi-Fi everywhere, from restaurants to shopping stores, and now it can be found in our very own school.
In fact, internet access has been prevalent in the 9th and 10-12 buildings for some time now, students are just unaware. According to Director of Technology Robert Catalano, over the summer the school board “put access points in almost every room.”

This means that there should be enough signal and bandwidth to support every student.

The problem with connectivity is that many students are unaware of which network to connect with.
School-owned devices are automatically connected to the network SF-Student. If students want to bring a personal device from home, such as a smartphone, they should use the network SF_BYOT.

To connect to SF_BYOT, all students have to do is put in their Spring-Ford username and password. This change should improve connection all around the school, and prevent any difficulties one may have in sending a message to a friend.

The district continuously is working to create a quick connection for students, as they keep upgrading the network and adding more gigabytes to increase internet speed.

Wi-Fi is not the only technology technique that is unknown to students. Many are unaware of how to access their email as well. What students don’t know is that they can easily use their school email account through Outlook. Instead of using a personal email to get in touch with teachers, they can use Outlook to access school emails.
These are just two tips of many that students are unaware of but will make lives easier.

The technology department has many great ideas to execute, however they would like to start with the basics and inform students of information currently available.