Inquirer’s Mike Sielski visits Spring-Ford

The award-winning writer stopped by to offer tips on writing and the journalism field.

Inquirer+columnist+Mike+Sielski+stopped+by+Spring-Ford+to+talk+about+his+career+to+the+high+schools+Journalism+class.+

Inquirer columnist Mike Sielski stopped by Spring-Ford to talk about his career to the high school’s Journalism class.

Staff Report

Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Mike Sielski stopped by Spring-Ford High School on Friday morning to speak to Journalism students about column and sports writing.

Sielski gave students a background of his career that has spanned writing high school sports with the Doylestown Intelligencer, to professional sports at the Allentown Morning Call, to the Wall Street Journal, and back to Philadelphia at the Inquirer and Daily News.

Sielski took questions from students and talked about how he picks his columns, the journalism business, and how to best tell a story.

Among the many awards he’s won over the years, the Associated Press Sports Editors named Mike the top sports columnist in America in 2015.

In addition to his newspaper work, Sielski is the author of two books, including “Fading Echoes: A True Story of Rivalry and Brotherhood from the Football Field to the Fields of Honor” and “How to Be Like Jackie Robinson: Life Lessons from Baseball’s Greatest Hero” as well. Mike has also appeared on ESPN, The NFL Network, NBC Sports, National Public Radio, and other national and regional TV and radio programs.