Spring-Ford wins B101 Christmas Choir Competition

The group received $5,000 and a featured performance at the Kimmel Center during the Philly Pops Concert for their efforts.

The+Spring-Ford+Vocal+Ensemble+celebrates+winning+the+B101+Christmas+Choir+Competition.++The+Vocal+Ensemble+will+receive+%245%2C000+and+a+featured+performance+at+the+Kimmel+Center+during+the+Philly+Pops+Concert+on+Wednesday%2C+December+12th.++

Photo courtesy of Yvonne O'Dea

The Spring-Ford Vocal Ensemble celebrates winning the B101 Christmas Choir Competition. The Vocal Ensemble will receive $5,000 and a featured performance at the Kimmel Center during the Philly Pops Concert on Wednesday, December 12th.

By Brian Lynch, Business Manager

They’ve done it.

After years of attempts, Spring-Ford’s Vocal Ensemble finally won the famed B101 Christmas Choir Competition.

The Vocal Ensemble, led by director Yvonne O’Dea and assistant director Joe Perry, enters a piece in the competition almost every year. So when Spring-Ford earned a spot in the finals with “Angel Medley” the choir was ecstatic.

“There was a little doubt, but never much,” junior tenor Nick Hyden said.

As a result of the win, the Vocal Ensemble will receive $5,000 and a featured performance at the Kimmel Center during the Philly Pops Concert on Wednesday, December 12th.

The Vocal Ensemble starts work on winter pieces in September and practices up to five day per week.  This selective choir group focuses on technique and fundamentals of proper singing, along with perfecting challenging pieces.

O’Dea kept the choir inspired, staying confident, and full of hope on the last day of the competition before results were released.

O’Dea promised to donate a portion of the money to Spring-Ford’s own charity, donating clothing to some families of greater need within the district.  With this win, $1,000 will be donated to make this holiday great for many families.  In the midst of all this acclamation and praise, O’Dea has remained grateful.

“Winning this competition is not only a testament to the talents and dedication of our students,” O’Dea said, “but it speaks to the dedication and support that the community gives to the music program.”