Rams net state soccer berth

Rams elude past demons, make states for first time in program history.

By Matt Dunne & Connor Lynch, Staff Writers

After falling to Perkiomen Valley 2-1 in the PAC Championship, many around the Spring-Ford soccer team felt that the season may be over.

Luckily for the fans, though, the Rams’ were just getting started.

Spring-Ford bounced back in a big way in the postseason by beating West Chester East, Radnor, and Unionville to earn third place at the District One Tournament and clinch the program’s first Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association state tournament berth.

“I think we really embraced the team mentality,” Spring-Ford senior captain Sal Ibarra said. “Everyone really trusts everyone else and knows everyone will play their part. The teams in the last few years have faltered as of late, and that is all the motivation we needed to perform differently this year.”

Unfortunately, the team’s run in states came to an end at the hands of Freedom High School in a heartbreaking 1-0, first-round loss.

Although there were sad faces as the Rams came off  the field for that state playoff, they had a sense of accomplishment. A program who dominated the regular season and struggled in the postseason in the past had finally gotten over the hump.

Following the PAC Championship loss to PV, there were many despondent faces at Wildcat Stadium. Despite being favored, the Rams had fallen 2-1 in the championship.

Unlike last season where they entered as the third seed, Spring-Ford went undefeated in the league and were an overwhelming favorite to win their first league title since 2013. It was not meant to be as the team fell in the dramatic final.

After losing in the PAC finale last season, the Rams had ended their season early in the first round of districts. This year’s seniors insisted that there would be no repeat of last year’s collapse.

And they meant it.

“This year we had a group of boys who have played with each other for years,” senior captain Johnny Guimaraes said. “We continue to stress team over individual, which in the end, makes us all play for each other. (It’s important to) always have your teammates back.”

The addition of goaltender Ray Fortebuono is one of the prime reasons that the Rams have had such a strong season.

The senior goalie left his soccer academy to play high school soccer for the simple reason that he “just wanted to represent my school for a year.”

Fortebuono showed his skills throughout the season, totalling nine shutouts amongst numerous dazzling saves.

Brett Gulati and Brandon Duke led the team with 14 goals apiece. Colin Trainor contributed 12 goals this year.

After the PAC Championship loss to Perkiomen Valley, Guimarres had said, “Let Perk Valley have their moment (winning the PAC), ours is still coming.”

It’s almost like the senior midfielder already knew the Rams’ historic moment was yet to come.

And it certainly won’t be forgotten.