Ram Tough Football

Spring-Ford fought past expectations on the way to a solid season.

Spring-Ford+football+players+take+the+field+before+a+game+earlier+this+season.+The+Rams+finished+the+season+with+a+8-2+regular+season.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Ram Tough Football

Spring-Ford football players take the field before a game earlier this season. The Rams finished the season with a 8-2 regular season.

Photo courtesy of yearbook staff

Photo courtesy of yearbook staff

Photo courtesy of yearbook staff

By Dean Costalas, Sports Editor

Photo courtesy of yearbook staff
Spring-Ford assistant coach Jim Mich talks to the team during a game this season.

There was no doubt that there was doubt. People said this year was a building year. That the team lost too many offensive powerhouses. That the schedule was too much to overcome.

The most common predictions were 4-6, 5-5, and the occasional 6-4, with the optimistic few and far between.

But the Rams decided to defy expectations this season, taking the stigma set by those around them and disregarding it completely. After the dust of the regular season had settled, Spring-Ford’s football team emerged head and shoulders above the average estimates with their 8-2 regular season record.

The team knew what they were capable of, banding together and delivering quite a few startling wins throughout the season, as well as a few close games that very easily could’ve easily been another tally in an otherwise impressive win column. The season was an intricate canvas of big plays, defensive stands, and overall quality ball.

It was hard to describe the offense’s form and overall structure, but whatever you’d like to call it, it worked.

The team averaged 36 points a game, with plenty coming from the strong scramble ability of junior quarterback Ryan Engro, as well as the athletic ability of receivers Dante Bonanni and Noah Baker.

There was no doubt that the offense was productive as they had nine out of 11 games where they scored over 30 points, the highlight being the 66 points put up during the Homecoming game in late September.

The defense was blessed with returning starters, an advantage they took to the fullest. The line was a force to be reckoned with, as the linebacker core wreaked havoc against both the run game as well as in coverage. The secondary was also a spot of focus, with every member of the starting squad recording at least one interception this past year.

And on a legendary note, a record was reached this season as kicker Taylor Smith tied the Spring-Ford all-time scoring record, now coholding the title with former kicker Owen Gulati at 110 points.

Smith, who was a soccer player that came into the fold his sophomore year when a new kicker was needed, only missed the mark due to the team going for a 2-point conversion in the 4th quarter during the team’s last game. Regardless, Smith deserves the recognition for achieving such a monumental record.

Overall, the season was a success as the team went above and beyond what was predicted, handing out a slew of wins and fairly drastic victories. Another district run was also in the cards, but it was ended short by Downingtown East in a rainy, miserable home game.

Despite the disappointing home loss to, well, you know who, the team went undefeated against every other team in the PAC, blowing out CB South, Norristown, Methacton, Boyertown, OJR and PJP by 3 possessions.

A congratulation is in order for this year’s seniors, who left a lasting impression on the program and its legacy. And while the majority of this year’s starting O-Line and Defense are graduating, there are still plenty of returning bright spots (Engro, James Albert, Andrew Yoon, Grant Sillyman and Nick Teets, to name a few) that’ll be back next season.

• Ram Tough Football

News

College cost should be on students’ minds

• Ram Tough Football

Opinion

It was my time to get out and vote

• Ram Tough Football

News

Blood Drive a success

• Ram Tough Football

News

Technology makes a breakthrough at SF

• Ram Tough Football

News

Spring-Ford sings at Kimmel Center

• Ram Tough Football

News

Flu season’s upon us

• Ram Tough Football

News

Spring-Ford wins B101 Christmas Choir Competition

• Ram Tough Football

Entertainment

‘Little Women’ takes stage

• Ram Tough Football

Features

Fond Memories

• Ram Tough Football

Entertainment

Duck Donuts dazzles

Ram Tough Football