Should we have the day after Halloween off?

By Eshika Seth, Staff Writer

As we all know, Halloween is a day where kids of all ages get to be free, be whoever they want, and just let loose for one night — whether it’s going to raving parties or going out and getting some free candy.

I think that we should have the day after off because many students on the night of Halloween have plans that usually go late into the night. This can lead to a lot of problems for the next day.

Since students would be staying up late, they would be very tired in class. They may even risk falling asleep in class and disrupting their education.

Studies show that the lack of sleep affects a part of the brain called the hippocampus. When people are deprived of sleep for even one night, the brain’s ability to memorize and retain information drops significantly. Even getting less sleep for one night affects the brain’s capability to effectively communicate with the rest of the body.

Effectively, a whole day’s worth of education would go down the drain.

Halloween is an important night for kids. It is a holiday where we are celebrated and encouraged to truly be whoever and whatever we want. To live out our most insane dreams and just truly have a blast.

But having to worry about all the work that is due tomorrow: the presentations, the projects, and big tests take out the fun of the night.

School is already so stressful and hard, and knowing that you have a hectic night planned along with all your work and studying for the next day makes the night less enjoyable.

So, I ask you, please don’t ruin our one night to truly enjoy ourselves by adding the pressure of school to it.

We need that extra day to recover from the crazy night. Students are not able to focus because they are still suffering from the after-effects of the night before, whether it is the late night and loss of sleep or the partying.

This isn’t a way just to get an extra day of school off but to protect students and look out for our wellbeing. It ensures that our education is not going to waste.