Public reacts to England murder

Tragedy involving transgender girl spurs memorials in England.

Madison Downes, Staff Writer

On Feb. 11, two teenagers, one boy and one girl, took the life of 15-year-old Brianna Ghey authorities allege. Ghey, a transgender girl, was found dead due to multiple stab wounds in a park in the town of Warrington, England.

Ghey went to Birchwood Community High School, approximately three miles from the scene of her death. Both teenagers charged with Gheys’ murder were also from nearby towns.

The girl and boy charged, both 15, are from Warrington and Leigh, respectively, towns about 10 miles apart. The two teens appeared in front of a judge at Chester Magistrates Court in Chester, England.

The district judge refused bail for the two teens, sent them back to a youth detention center, and the two were eventually charged with Ghey’s murder.

Police have stated that they have been pursuing the investigation, seeing if the stabbing was truly a hate crime. The police have advised individuals to avoid “speculation online and be wary of sharing misinformation relating to this case,” according to the New York Times.

English law bans the release of details that could identify criminals under 18 who are involved in court. Therefore, the public cannot directly be informed of the teens’ motives or if Ghey’s murder was truly a hate crime.

According to the Times, Brianna’s relatives have paid tribute to their “much-loved daughter, granddaughter, and baby sister,” describing her as a “larger-than-life character.”

“The loss of her young life has left a massive hole in our family, and we know that the teachers and her friends who were involved in her life will feel the same,” Ghey’s family said in a message.

More than $107,000 has been raised in an online fund-raiser by GoFundMe to help her family with funeral costs.

“She was looking forward to taking her exams this year and beginning her journey into the adult world,” said the fund-raiser’s organizers, Victoria and Jacob Potter. “She brought a lot of laughter to those who knew her.”

Vigils in memory of Ghey have been held across England, including her hometown of Warrington. More are planned to take place in Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, and England.

Although Ghey is now known internationally — she was just a kid, loved by online friends yet bullied in real life for declining to extinguish her light.