Rams roll to solid season

Football team finished second in PAC, reaches district tournament

Anthony Goldsmith, Sports Editor

The Spring Ford Rams football team played a tough schedule and had their moments en route to an 8-4 season and second-place finish in the Pioneer Athletic Conference.

Spring Ford came up just short in their District One Tournament run as well, but scored an impressive win against Ridley and took one of the best teams in the state to overtime. This second round matchup versus top-seeded Garnet Valley concluded by a score of 30-27, in which the Rams struck first in overtime with a Ryan Fields field goal, but a first-play jet-sweep from Garnet Valley ended the upset hopes and finished the Rams’ season. Highlights of this game included Gage Swanger’s 90-plus-yard kick return touchdown as well as a pair of Will Fish rushing touchdowns.

The Rams shined in the Regular season this year going 8-4 and 4-1 in the PAC. Out-of-conference losses to Cumberland Valley and Manheim Township were very close, with only a three-point deficit to Manheim and a 12-point deficit to Cumberland Valley. The Rams’ lone loss in the PAC was to Perkiomen Valley, which won its second-straight championship in the conference.

An impactful senior class that will depart include Swanger, Zach Zollers, Matt Yurko, Luke Pajovich, and Will Fish. Swanger and Zollers were the No. 1 and 2 wide receivers for Matt Zollers’ at quarterback, while Pajovich and Zach Zollers were dominant on the defensive side, totaling 9 sacks and 1 interception. Will Fish was a great running back as well, totaling 74.9 rushing yards per game on top of his duties as the team’s middle linebacker. Trevell Wellons also enjoyed a very solid season in which he served as the team’s primary cornerback and led a talented but young formidable secondary.

Quarterback Zollers will look ahead to his junior year with starting experience under his belt, and will turn to juniors Belal Abdelrahman and Mason Scott as well as freshman Ryan Kerchner as his primary options.