Figuring out Spring-Ford’s ticket-price formula

Cost of tickets vary due to PAC rules as well as costs of events.

Marley Greenwood, Staff Writer

In order to attend a Spring-Ford sporting event, school dance, or play, students must pay an entry fee, ranging between $5 for a football game all the way up to $80 for the Senior Prom.

Judging by attendance at events, it would appear students are understanding of the costs.

“I feel that the current prices are a good amount,” Kaleigh Glossner, a senior, remarked.

The determination on the cost of tickets varies for multiple reasons. In sports, the Pioneer Athletic Conference sets the ticket price for events. In events such as prom or homecoming dances, costs of tickets are determined to offset the price of the event itself.

“I think that prices are fair but sometimes a little bit on the higher side,” Talia Mustaccio, a fellow senior, stated. “I understand that the cost is high because it goes towards the events, but some people may not be able to always pay for their tickets.”

Mustaccio also brought insight to the fact that students could be paying for the events themselves and felt that if the events for school were free, more people would attend.

Athletic Director Dan Miscavage explained that Spring-Ford does not directly impact the prices since they are determined by the Pioneer Athletic Conference, the athletic league neighboring schools are members of.

“The standard price as set by the PAC is $5.00 for adults and $5.00 for kids,” Miscavage remarked. When asked for his opinion on if he believes students should have to pay, he replied, “Yes I believe students should pay for night events where the district charges for games.”

Government teacher and Student Council Advisor Stacey Bogus asserts that the costs students pay are the right amount because they reflect the cost of sponsoring the events charged.

“I think the current price for ticketed events is fair,” Bogus vocalized. “For us, we need to supply a DJ for two nights on a weekend (prime-time means higher cost), purchase decorations, tickets, and food and drinks.”

Another consideration, according to Bogus, is the timing of the homecoming dance, with students fresh off of a week of spending for Spirit Week costumes.

“We try to make it as affordable as possible,” Bogus explained. “Especially coming after Spirit Week, when I think a lot of students spend money on costumes and such.”