Flu season is now here

Ava Becton, Staff Writer

Flu season has nearly arrived, and preventing cases at Spring-Ford is now in the hands of students.

Recognizing flu symptoms and exhibiting caution can significantly benefit public areas, especially in schools.

“Wash your hands before and after eating or touching public spaces,” Spring-Ford High School nurse Jaclyn Gospodarek said. “Cover your cough and sneezes, be mindful of how your body is feeling — so many people say that they were feeling a bit off before the symptoms increased.”

Cases across the country continue to rise, with the CDC’s website stating in the final week of October that the southeastern and south-central areas of the country are reporting the highest levels of activity.

As the flu approaches, students are beginning to develop plans to avoid catching illness.

“To protect myself from getting sick,” Spring-Ford student Elaina Cooper stated, “I wear a mask and follow the CDC rules.”

Additionally, the CDC recommends yearly flu vaccinations, avoiding contact with those who are sick, and, if you are sick yourself, limiting contact with others.

COVID received a large amount of publicity the past two years, upending normal day-to-day life, yet this does not halt the flu from presenting its own problems.

“During the 2021-2022 influenza season,” the CDC states, “Influenza was associated with 9 million illnesses, 4 million medical visits, 10,000 hospitalizations, and 5,000 deaths.”

Spring-Ford students can protect themselves by washing their hands, staying hydrated, and receiving yearly flu vaccinations. Additionally, it’s essential to complete wellness checks.