SF’s Mokonchu leaps to state high jump championship

Spring-Ford+senior+Nene+Mokonchu+competes+at+the+Penn+Relays+this+past+spring.+Mokonchu+won+the+event+at+the+Penn+Relays+and+a+PIAA+State+Championship+in+the+high+jump.+

Submitted photo

Spring-Ford senior Nene Mokonchu competes at the Penn Relays this past spring. Mokonchu won the event at the Penn Relays and a PIAA State Championship in the high jump.

Kyla Wilhelm, Staff Writer

Nene Mokonchu quite literally saved the best for last.

In the final high school event of her career, the Spring-Ford senior leapt to a personal record of 5 feet, 10 inches at the PIAA Track and Field Championships to claim the Rams’ first-ever spring state high jump championship.

The jump ensured the Brown University-bound senior would end her career as one of the best-ever to compete for Spring-Ford.

The big victory follows her indoor state championship performance in the high jump at the Pennsylvania Track and Field Coaches Association Indoor State Championships this past winter.

Mokonchu will not only be remembered within Rams’ record books, making a name for herself on a national level this past April as well.

The Rams senior leapt to a meet-best 5 feet, 7.75-inch mark in the high jump to become the Rams’ first-ever victor at Philadelphia’s annual track and field showcase that attracts top talent from across the country.

Despite being one of the top contenders, Mokonchu nevertheless had to conquer nerves.

“Going into Penn Relays, (I) had initially been so ecstatic and ready to execute,” said Mokonchu. “The day before, though, I began to mull over potential mess ups. However, once on that field and under the sun, I regained that initial excitement.”

With her determination, and what seems to be a little help from the sun, Mokonchu became a champion. Although her jumps say otherwise, Mokonchu remains grounded.

“I was just so proud and honored to be surrounded by such talented people-both my fellow competitors and the officials/alumni,” she said.

Recently, Mokonchu won the Pioneer Athletic Conference’s high jump championship with a leap of 5-feet, 8-inches. She followed that up with a triumph in the District One Championships of 5-7. Earlier this year, she set her then-personal record of 5-9 at the Perkiomen Valley Invitational.

Aside from her list of accomplishments in high school, Mokonchu plans to attend Brown University where she will be majoring in political science and Africana studies on a pre-law track.

“I will not only compete in track and field, but will also do AROTC to pursue a career of judge advocacy within the military, and hopefully become a Supreme Court Justice,” said Mokonchu.

Most people would look at this title and feel as though they have accomplished something bigger than they could ever imagine; however, for Mokonchu, she feels it is something else.

“[I think] my biggest accolade is the unwavering assurance I have in who I am, who I can be, and humility in trying to be better from every mistake,” she said. “I’ve gained so much on the state and (inter)national level both academically and athletically, but it would’ve never been done without my profound humility and submission to a greater plan beyond my present understanding.”