Here We Go Again: ‘Mamma Mia!’

Performers wow audiences with hits from Abba .

Iz+Maslin+%28from+left%29%2C+Shelagh+Kratz%2C+and+Annie+Rizzo+sing+in+Spring-Ford+Theater%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9CMamma+Mia%21%E2%80%9D+during+rehearsals.+

Staff Photo

Iz Maslin (from left), Shelagh Kratz, and Annie Rizzo sing in Spring-Ford Theater’s “Mamma Mia!” during rehearsals.

Jocelyn Wright, Entertainment Editor

This year Spring-Ford’s theater department said “Thank You for the Music” with a production of the fan-favorite “Mamma Mia!”

“Mamma Mia!” follows the shenanigans of Sophie Sheridan and her mom, Donna, as Sophie tries to figure out who her dad is before her big wedding day. But, her mom can’t know why all her past flames are in town or it might spoil the big day. The show is set to the upbeat and lively disco music of ABBA, so you can’t help but dance along.
The cast did an outstanding job, and the show was a blast. Some are saying it’s the best show Spring-Ford’s put on in years. From the spectacular double-sided set and flawless scene changes to the stunning vocals and choreography, the production was a sight to see!

The school district’s masking mandate shifted just before opening weekend, no longer requiring the performers to wear masks on stage. Many of the cast members took this chance in order to better express the narrative of the show.

“Because of the masks last year, it was harder to act and connect and emote during the show — it was also a smaller group so there was more bonding time between the cast, which I love,” said junior Shelagh Kratz, who played Donna. “However, it was nice to have a sense of normalcy and be able to put on a big production again – I missed that!”

Kratz’s sentiment was shared by the other cast members as well. The real message of the show was one of cooperation. There is a very deep bond forged between cast members that cannot be replicated outside of a show. It was a relief and another glimpse of normalcy for our students and our community to have a big production once again.

Community support was tremendous and the ticket pre-sale record was shattered by almost 600 tickets. Music and live theater are very dear to the Spring-Ford community, and it is safe to say that the year wouldn’t have been the same without a show.

The cast, crew, directors, and volunteers who worked so hard to make the production “Mamma Mia!” a success deserve congratulations.