Hughes selected to Hall of Fame

Longtime softball coach earns honor from Montgomery County Coaches Association.

Andrew Eross and Anthony Goldsmith, Sports Editors

The Montgomery County Coaches’ Hall of Fame recently nominated one of Spring-Ford’s best in longtime softball coach Tim Hughes.

Hughes has amassed 449 victories and 12 Pioneer Athletic Conference championships as head coach with the Rams. The Hall of Fame will honor Hughes and several other inductees during a ceremony at the 19th annual induction banquet on Tuesday, November 23.

Always one to emphasize teamwork, Hughes didn’t hesitate to credit the team of coaches, players, and administrators around him over the years for the honor.

“I’ve been blessed with amazing athletes, coaches around me, and an administration that supports me,” said Hughes, who also teaches in the Social Studies Department at Spring-Ford. “It’s pretty tough not to have a lot of highs with that combination. The lows keep me honest, keeps me motivated to continue to do the little things that are important to the program.”

Hughes began his legendary career in the early 1980’s when he played football at Saint Pius X High School, earning first-team All-Ches-Mont League honors at tight end while leading the league in receptions. On top of that, Hughes also earned recognition as a second-team All-League defensive end.
Hughes proceeded to Kutztown University to continue his academic and athletic career, where he played tight end and studied to earn a Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Secondary Education Sociology. His successes continued outside of the classroom where he led the Kutztown Golden Bears with receptions in his senior season.

It became evident to Hughes during his college playing days that he was nowhere near done with athletics, as a career in teaching and coaching called.

“Like most collegiate athletes, ambition does not outweigh ability,” Hughes said. “I was reminded of that by one of my college coaches during my junior year, who said, ‘if you love this type of atmosphere, there’s only a few directions you can go to continue to do so.’ After quickly realizing my playing days were over after college, I recall immediately changing my major from finance to secondary education.”
Hughes began his first coaching job in 1989 as an assistant football coach at Perkiomen Valley High School. After four years with the Vikings, he accepted the Defensive Coordinator position at Pottsgrove football in 1994. Hughes served in this role until 2013 with head coach Rick Pennypacker. During Hughes’ time with the Falcons, they won seven PAC championships, six trips to the District One championship game, and two district championships.

Hughes’ coaching journey took a new path in 1997 when he took over a Rams’ softball program he still leads to this day. Hughes’ dominant record on the diamond consists of an astounding 449 wins and over .800 winning percentage. Under his leadership, the Rams won 12 PAC championships, captured two District One championships, and made nine Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association state tournament appearances. In that span the Rams have also reached the state semifinals three times.

Hughes’ legacy will surely be commemorated well with his induction in the Montgomery County Coaches’ Hall of Fame. For anyone lucky enough to work with Hughes on the sidelines, it should come as no surprise when he earns one of the highest honors a coach can receive.

Through it all, Hughes has always emphasized the importance of team.

“As a child growing up, I counted on my friends and teammates for most all activities,” Hughes said. “It brought me joy then, it brings me joy today.

“I need to credit my father who was a military guy. Although he didn’t say much, and I may not have understood it at the time, he exuded that quiet ‘work hard for what you get, have no excuses because that won’t change the outcome, the group (team) comes before the individual, never quit’ attitude.”