Fans welcome Rams return

Payton+West+eyes+a+touchdown+pass+in+the+Rams%E2%80%99+42-10+victory+over+Owen+J+Roberts+on+Oct.+23+during+Homecoming.+

Staff Photo

Payton West eyes a touchdown pass in the Rams’ 42-10 victory over Owen J Roberts on Oct. 23 during Homecoming.

Anthony Goldsmith, Sports Editor

With COVID restrictions reduced and fans back in the stands, Spring-Ford was able to play a quite normal 2021 season. While the Rams did not achieve all of their preseason goals, it was certainly great to see the return of Friday night lights and the atmosphere of the community coming together to watch Spring-Ford football.

The Rams started off firing on all cylinders, as a potent offense and a smothering defense led the team to consecutive shutouts. A 44-0 trouncing of West Chester East and a 48-0 domination of Chambersburg marked the opening wins of the year.

However, Spring-Ford would unfortunately go on a three-game slide, including a loss to rival Perkiomen Valley.

The Rams turned things around quickly after the PV loss, going 4-2 to finish out the season. Despite the strong finish, the Rams missed a chance at a PAC championship due to PV finishing its season undefeated in the league.

The Rams did however earn a 13 seed in Districts, but a tough 21-14 loss to Downingtown East ended the season.

The Rams posted numerous highlights throughout the season. Coach Chad Brubaker celebrated his 100th career win with Spring Ford, and freshman quarterback Matt Zollers had an impressive season backing up starting senior Ryan Freed, which gives the Rams something to look forward to in the coming years.

Brubaker complemented Freed and Zollers’s quarterback play with a run-heavy offense, and it showed as Second Team All-Liberty Division RB Harry Adieyefeh Jr. rushed for nearly 1,000 yards and averaged a touchdown a game.

Spring Ford will see many seniors depart this season, with Adieyefeh, Freed, Carson Brogdon, and Seth Owens all set to graduate. The Rams will also lose First Team All-Liberty Division OT Ian Harvie to graduation as well, as he plans to play Division 1 college football.

Despite the lack of playoff success for the Rams, the team has a bright future headed into next season. First team All-Liberty TE and DE Zach Zollers, Matt Zollers, Second Team All- Liberty WR and DB Gage Swanger, Will Fish, and Second Team All- Liberty DT Mike Bendowski are all remaining on the team for next season, maintaining a strong impact for seasons to come. Many others also will pick up for the loss in talent, and will help SF continue to be a dominant team in 2022.

With massive success in underclassman development and the great achievements made by both coaches and players, this season is not one to be disappointed in, but rather the stepping stone to a big 2022 campaign.