Golf team finishes undefeated

Staff Report

This year was one for the ages for the Spring-Ford boys golf team. A down to the wire 190-191 victory over Owen J. Roberts secured the Rams a PAC championship following a 10-0 undefeated season.
The eight-man lineup dominated, featuring seven All-PAC nominations or honorable mentions, with each of them qualifying for the individual District One tournament.

Luke Fazio and Jon Seifarth highlighted this group and placed first and second in the individual championship at the PAC tournament. Robbie McNelly, who finished 10th in the individual PAC championship, scored well enough at Districts to move on to the second round of golf alongside Fazio, who later went to compete in the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association State Tournament.
Other District qualifiers were Jake Blackmore, Jaden Minter, Garrett Wible, and Noah Kim.

The Rams will unfortunately be without Seifarth, McNelly, Wible, and Kim next year as they will graduate, but the team will retain Fazio, Blackmore, and Minter for hopefully another dominant year next fall.

— Andrew Eross

Girls Soccer

Following a dominant 2020 Fall campaign, girls soccer enjoyed another successful season but fell short of their overarching goal.

The previous year had seen a stifling Rams defense lead the way to Spring-Ford’s second-place finish at Districts, but unfortunately there were heavy losses with the departure of the 2021 senior class.
A young Rams team finished 11-7, including a season-ending loss in the opening round of Districts, 1-0, to CR North.

Spring-Ford will need to replace one of the state’s greatest when Liv Curry’s graduates this spring after one of the greatest careers in program history. Curry is a Wisonsin commit, two time first-team All-State, and two-time Liberty Player of the Year center back.

All-PAC first team midfielder Reese Kershner and All-PAC second-team honoree, Olivia Watt, will additionally graduate out of the program with accomplished careers.

The future of the program is certainly bright, with freshman Molly Kennedy, sophomore Ally Garvey, and junior goalkeeper Erika Eickhoff taking home All-PAC second-team nominations.

— Andrew Eross

Boys Soccer

After having lost a tremendous 2021 Senior class, the Boys Soccer Team had holes to fill across the pitch. While the team had difficulty in PAC play, their non-conference record suggested a better effort from a young Rams team. Senior Justin Russell and sophomore goalie Logan Hyduke, both key pieces to last year’s District semifinal appearance, finished as part of first team all-Liberty and were both instrumental pieces to an above average 10-8-1 record. While the team’s offense faltered in an 3-0 opening-round loss to CR South at Districts, the Rams will have an offseason ahead to improve after a retooling year where much of the team had seen only their first minutes on varsity. Matt Henzler and George Netherly (both second team all-Liberty) will forefront the Rams defense next year ahead of the keeper Hyduke, and will look to make strides in the next year following the graduation of Justin Russell, Dylan Smith, Eric Moriarity, and more.

— Andrew Eross

Volleyball

Headlined by senior Ally Plitnick’s 1000th career assist, the Rams Volleyball team put forth a second straight solid season en route to snapping a four-year playoff drought. SF completed the year with a 4-4 PAC play record and an even more solid 6-3 non-conference record, which led them to a 20 seed in the District tournament. The Rams upset 13-seeded Abington in a five-set thriller in which Plitnick recorded her 1000th assist, but unfortunately the Rams were knocked out in the following round to a strong Downingtown West team. The Rams nevertheless put forth a strong year and showed promise with players like juniors Sara Fritzinger (all-PAC first team), Katie Gentilotti, and Kylie Michal, along with star freshman Lauren Angelucci. Plitnick (all-PAC first team), Faith Hudon, and Cameryn Elsner (both all-PAC second team) headline the graduating class.

— Andrew Eross

Boys Cross Country

While maybe not living up to the expectations set by an undefeated 2020 season, the Rams boys cross country team still had a solid year. Accumulating a 4-2 record, the team was led by junior Quinn Smith, the sole Ram representative in state competition. Strong play also came from junior Ryan Kovaleski, sophomore Ethan Tharp, and freshman Augustus Smith, who each earned all-Conference honors alongside Smith. Seniors Andrew Zimmerman, Braden Krajcirovic, Ryan Trimble, and Greg Chiaradonna all will graduate from the Rams with accomplished running careers. Despite losing senior talent, Spring Ford is surely poised for an even better season in the year ahead as they return their top four runners for the upcoming fall.

—Andrew Eross

Girls Cross Country

Spring-Ford’s girls cross country team underwent another year focused on the development of underclassmen this season. Finishing 2-2 in PAC play (2-3 overall), it is evident that this team will require some more time to learn and build. Senior runner Julia Breisch will graduate this year, leaving some shoes to be filled. Next year, veteran runner Abigail Duersch will return with aspirations for her final season. However, support will be needed in order to help SF compete with the best in the PAC.

— Jack Baumgardner

Field Hockey

While the Rams struggled to find success in their fall season, there surely were some positives to take away from the year. Junior defender Julia Corroploese committed to Bucknell University midway through her All-Liberty First Team season. She led this Rams team along with seniors Maddie Friend (East Stroudsburg University commit, second team all-Liberty), Alexa Collins (University of Massachusetts commit, first team all-Liberty), Alyssa Mozi (Boston University commit), Annalease Earley, and Jessica Todd. While the team recorded a slightly disappointing overall record of 6-11-1, underclassmen like sophomore goalie Bella Butler and sophomore Friend (second team all-Liberty) along with freshman Marissa Caglioli gained solid varsity experience and will hopefully turn the team around in future years.

— Andrew Eross