Spring-Ford tennis wins PAC

Sophomore Matriccino wins PAC individual crown, finishes fifth at District Tournament

By Jack Baumgardner, Staff Writer

Once again, Spring-Ford Girls Tennis put together a phenomenal season. The team finished PAC regular season play undefeated at 11-0, accumulating a school record 19 wins. For the third year in a row, the team took home the PAC crown.

Last season, Spring-Ford’s Mia Matriccino defeated Allison Root (OJR) to win the 2020 PAC Singles Final. These two faced off once again at the District 1-3A quarterfinals this year, and Matriccino would once again take home the win — securing 5th place in the tournament. With this feat, she became the highest finisher ever in Spring-Ford Girls Tennis history.

As a sophomore, Matriccino has also already won 2 PAC singles championships and a District One singles silver medal. Cady Krause, a junior at Spring-Ford, also qualified for the District 1-3A singles tournament. Unfortunately, Krause lost in the first round to West Chester Henderson’s Ella Tunnell 6-1, 7-5.

The group then competed in the District 1-3A girls tennis team championships, entering as a 3 seed. Spring-Ford strolled through the first two rounds, posting five straight-set wins in both games. The girls would meet their match against a tough Conestoga side, losing 4-1 and eventually finishing 4th in the district.

The team still qualified for states, with a chance to repeat as state champs.

Spring-Ford opened with a strong 4-1 victory over District 11’s Parkland, followed by an identical 4-1 result over State College to advance to the semifinals. Unfortunately the girls would once again fall to Conestoga, ending their spectacular season.

Spring-Ford’s star-studded lineup is featured throughout the 2021 Pioneer Athletic Conference all-conference teams. Matriccino took home First team singles honors, with Isabel Mejia and Krause receiving Second Team singles honors. Duos Alexis Luo/Evelyn Mejia and Lana Hang/Chloe Moore achieved First Team doubles honors.

Next season, Spring-Ford will look to once again contend for the district and state titles.
Though the Rams will lose seniors Mejia and Hang, their young core will remain. Krause will return for one more season, followed by an entourage of underclassmen. Matriccino, Mejia, Alexis Luo, and Moore will return with the common goal of building on this year’s accomplishments.