SF adds new leaders

Murray, Giambattista to fill Assistant Superintendent roles

Dr.+Kelly+Murray+%28left%29+and+Dr.+Tina+Giambattista+are+Spring-Ford%E2%80%99s+new+Assistant+Superintendents.+

Photo courtesy of Spring-Ford

Dr. Kelly Murray (left) and Dr. Tina Giambattista are Spring-Ford’s new Assistant Superintendents.

Jamie Ford, Editor-in-Chief

Spring-Ford hired two candidates to serve as Assistant Superintendents this past fall, marking a new direction for the district. The School Board recently approved the bicameral approach to the Assistant Superintendent position, enlisting Dr. Kelly Murray and Dr. Tina Giambattista as collaborators.

“Through the processes of filling the Assistant Superintendent position, we found that splitting the responsibilities of the Assistant Superintendent would better support our school community in the long term,” Superintendent Bob Rizzo said in a statement posted to the district’s website. “As we went through the initial interview process, we found two strong candidates, both who were highly specialized in their areas of Special Education and of Curriculum and Instruction.
From this point forward, Murray will coordinate the administrative aspects of teaching, learning, and innovation, while Giambattista focuses on special education and student services.

“I believe Dr. Murray and Dr. Giambattista’s skill sets complement each other,” said Rizzo in the press release. “Together, I expect they will make a remarkable difference here at Spring-Ford.”

Giambattista began her career at North Penn and Wissahickon as a teacher, then moved into administrative roles. She most recently worked in the Central Bucks School District and started at Spring-Ford in November.

Murray, who has served as the Director of Curriculum and Instruction since 2019, also has experience in the fields of Teaching and Learning, STEM, and Instruction. Her multifaceted experience in every aspect of the school system has proven to facilitate her work as an administrator. That being said, she advocates for Rizzo’s decision to hire two collaborative Assistant Superintendents.

“It’s difficult for one person to have the breadth necessary to fill this position,” said Murray. “There’s a saying: Have the right people in the right seats. … This setup lets us look across the district at how we can support all students and help them reach their goals.”

Though she misses the in-classroom exposure from her experience as a teacher, Murray is excited by the opportunity to make a bigger impact. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t… miss seeing [students’] eyes light up. … I love seeing people achieve their goals and… when you impact the entire system, you’ve had a big role in that.”

There’s an obvious passion for education apparent within administration. In the midst of such a rapidly-changing academic environment, Murray’s and Giambattista’s expertise are projected to help Spring-Ford learn, grow, and adapt as a community.