Decision Day

Seniors celebrate college choices as Spring-Ford tradition goes on as planned at Coach McNelly Stadium.

Spring-Ford+seniors+%28from+left%29+Matthew+Miller%2C+Nathan+Romano%2C+Gabe+Flad%2C+Kenny+Butler%2C+Brandon+Young%2C+and+Jason+Adelhelm+celebrate+during+Decision+Day+ceremonies.+

Photo courtesy of Spring-Ford

Spring-Ford seniors (from left) Matthew Miller, Nathan Romano, Gabe Flad, Kenny Butler, Brandon Young, and Jason Adelhelm celebrate during Decision Day ceremonies.

By Corey Fiore, Staff Writer

Spring-Ford hosted their annual Decision Day on April 28, where seniors arrived at school dressed in attire representing their future plans whether that be college, university, trade school, work force, or the military.

Some were skeptical due to the many traditions and events altered due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Spring-Ford Decision Day organizers produced an excellent experience.

“My expectations were not high at all because I did not know what the school had in store for the seniors due to how the year has gone” senior Hailie Bing said. “As the day went on and friends met up with each other, the day became eventful and fun.”

Seniors walked to Spring-Ford’s Coach McNelly Stadium on a beautiful April morning to celebrate the class of 2021 and their future plans, where they saw a decorated field with many fun activities such as cornhole and kan jam.

Picture booths were set up on all four corners so the seniors could relive this celebration of their accomplishments. Yet the smiles did not start nor end when taking photos. The parents, students, and teachers all gleamed of joy all throughout the morning as this is the most normal event the school has hosted since the pandemic had started.

It may have even sparked new innovative ideas on how decision day will operate in terms of location, as one Spring-Ford parent said, “I have had one child who had a decision day in the cafeteria and one on this turf, I would pick the turf every time.”

Social Studies teacher Daniel Miscavage agreed that the outside venue was a success.

“The pandemic has allowed schools to evaluate all of their events and offerings and look to break traditions and start new ones,” Miscavage said. “I believe SF administration will evaluate Decision Day and it may remain outside (weather permitting).”

This would be good news for next year’s class.

The students were also called up by college to the bleachers to get a picture with everyone who has similar post-grad plans. After, the students were all gifted little treats to take home from school.

Even when Spring-Ford does something great, they always want to improve.

“The one area where it may not hold up is for those who are not going to a four-year college or university,” Miscavage said. “Students who may be going to a trade school/military/gap year/community college may not feel the same excitement for the event.”

In all, Spring-Ford has tried many events that left the upperclassmen and especially seniors unsatisfied considering they had lost a lot of events thus far, but Decision Day left seniors grateful to take part in a Spring-Ford tradition and for the school they had attended for many years.