Familiar faces assume new leadership roles at Spring-Ford

Colyer takes over as 10-12 principal, Krakower as House Principal, and Oblak as Special Education Director.

11th-Grade+House+Principal+David+Krakower+%28left%29+speaks+with+10-12+Building+Principal+Dr.+Robert+Colyer.+

Staff Photo

11th-Grade House Principal David Krakower (left) speaks with 10-12 Building Principal Dr. Robert Colyer.

Bryn Borzillo, Editor-in-Chief

Leadership at Spring-Ford changed in the past calendar year as many familiar faces took on new roles upon the retirement of Dr. Patrick Nugent, former 10-12 grade building principal.

Dr. Robert Colyer, a longtime House Principal, has taken over the challenge of managing the 10-12 Center. He does so in an unconventional year that has seen many changes for the Spring-Ford community between virtual learning and accommodations to all extracurriculars due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

David Krakower has taken up Colyer’s vacant position of 11th Grade House Principal, leaving behind his former position of Special Education Supervisor. In his place, special education teacher Aimee Oblak has recently been appointed.

Colyer is a familiar leader in the district and prepared to push Spring-Ford to new heights moving forward.

“I am honored to serve the high school staff, students and community in the new role of High School Principal,” Colyer said in a news release on the district’s website. “I am very proud of what Spring-Ford offers and the growth that we have achieved. I am eager to continue working with a great teaching staff, support staff, students, and the community to continue the legacy that Dr. Nugent built over the past two decades.”

Before becoming a principal at the Spring-Ford, Colyer began his career in public education as a special education teacher at Mechanicsburg Area School District in 1997. After his years of teaching at Mechanicsburg, in 2005 he proceeded to work in administration at the Central Bucks School district before moving to Spring-Ford as an administrator in 2006.

Krakower joined Spring-Ford in 2015 as Special Education Director. He previously served as an administrator in the Coatesville Area School District and a teacher at Downingtown Area School District before that.

“I look forward to working with our exceptional staff and students,” Krakower said. “I am also excited to continue to build on the outstanding educational opportunities afforded to our students and to be a part of the academic excellence. Additionally, I look forward to continuing to talk and meet with the student body.”

Oblak joined the district in 1998 as a special education teacher. In addition to teaching, she has served as director of the fall plays and recently was named Special Education Department Chair.

“I am very excited to begin as the Special Education Supervisor at the 10-12 Center,” Oblak said. “I have been fortunate to have excellent administrative role models in my career. I feel I have always been a strong advocate for students and I am excited to continue to advocate for students in a different capacity as an administrator. I am also excited to join the exemplary administrative team at the high school and in the district.”

Throughout all of the administration changes, each of these individuals have allowed for the school to run smoothly and efficiently amidst the unknown that coincides with the current pandemic.

Jackie Vickery contributed to this report