Bodenschatz leaves legacy at Spring-Ford

The Rams midfielder ended his career as a member of the Pioneer Athletic Conference first team.

By Connor Lynch, Sports Editor

Senior Tommy Bodenschatz just completed one of the most prestigious and memorable careers in Spring-Ford boys soccer history. 

After a remarkable four years, Bodenschatz led the Rams in a surging postseason run  all the way to the District One Semifinals for just the second time in program history. His consistent performances earned him a spot on the Pioneer Athletic Conference First Team. Bodenschatz is no stranger to conference recognition, though, receiving PAC Second Team honors in his junior year. Due to his influential season, Bodenschatz was nominated for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Soccer Coaches Association High School First Team. 

Bodenschatz’s impressed in his freshman year by leading the junior varsity team in goals. This feat named him the Most Valuable Player on the roster for that season.

After showcasing remarkable ability and potential, Bodenschatz was awarded plenty of game time in his sophomore season. Bodenschatz took this opportunity straight away when netting his first career goal in fashion with a beautiful back heel shot in the bottom corner against Pope John Paul on Nov. 3, 2018. During this season Bodenschatz cemented his spot in the program  as the sophomore started and played in the majority of games as a center-attacking midfielder as well as commonly playing as a center forward.

Bodenschatz featured in the only state game the program has ever been a part of, against Freedom High School in Allentown. Bodenschatz then became a regular and practically certain starter in his junior year. His passing contributions to forward Brandon Duke and stability in the middle alongside Ethan Mossip were pivotal to the Rams’ success in the fall of 2019.

In his final season, Bodenschatz took captaincy and directed the Rams to yet another historic season. After beating top-seeded West Chester East, Bodenschatz and the Rams moved onto the district semifinals where they would find themselves on the wrong side of a close 1-0 affair against Pennridge. However, this postseason matched the record distance the Rams have ever reached, which the team happened to set in Bodenschatz’s sophomore year, making him one of the very few individuals to play in two district semifinals in the Rams blue and gold.

Bodenschatz ended his career with a highly respectable 10 goals on varsity but many more on junior varsity throughout his four years of his service to the program. He has announced he will continue his soccer career for the Rams, but now as a Golden Ram at West Chester University in 2021.