Boys soccer seeks net gain

The Rams are eager to play for a PAC championship after falling short last fall.

Andrew Eross, Staff Writer

Holding a two-goal lead over Abington, it seemed like the Spring-Ford boys soccer team would be advancing to the second round of the District One tournament. It was not meant to be, though, as this is the last time Spring-Ford boys soccer team stepped foot on the pitch together last fall.

That district playoff loss to Abington, and a conference championship loss to Boyertown shortly before, equaled a heart-breaking conclusion to the Rams’ 2019 fall season. 

The mission on that final day of the season was to reverse their fortune the next year. 

After the most unpredictable offseason anyone could have imagined, and several crucial senior departures, the Rams look to bounce-back from a difficult finish to win their first Pioneer Athletic Conference title since 2013 and put an end to the streak of three consecutive second-place finishes.

Forward Tom Bodenshatz experienced these heart-breaking losses last year as part of his junior campaign, and he hopes to rebound well for his final year as a Ram. 

“I feel because our grade has lost the final three years in a row, it will inspire us even more than the previous years,” Bodenshatz said. “Even though the format is different for who becomes champions, we need to play every game like it is the final.”

As a senior now, Bodenshatz and other 12th-graders are eager to step into that leadership role. 

“Obviously, with a lot of quality seniors gone, someone is going to have to step up and show some leadership,” he said. “Either through on the field, off the field, or both. 

“I have been getting on the guys to try to get out and get some work in during the offseason so that we play to our best ability. Along with getting everyone on task at training, we have also been trying our best to get to know most of the freshmen and make them feel a part of the family.”

That team-first mentality and senior leadership has never been more important than during a challenging offseason that was slowed considerably due to Covid-19 restrictions that limited the team’s ability to practice, especially in early summer months. 

Along with Bodenshatz, fellow forwards Colton Pollock (senior) and Justin Russell (junior), and senior midfielders Connor Lynch, Nick DiNenna, Andrew Merchant, and Ben Goldberg  pace the offense. Senior Trevor Jones is a leader on defense. 

The Rams will look to begin the season with a revenge win on the road Wednesday, Sept. 30, against the last PAC team they faced — Boyertown. 

“I feel as if our team this year has an amazing chemistry, as many of us have played together for the majority of our lives,” Bodenschatz said. “All in all, we just need to play our best, and show what we can do in big games.”