Olsen stays a step ahead

Spring-Ford+basketball+player+Lucy+Olsen+%28left%29+is+greeted+by+teammates+after+scoring+her+1%2C000th+point+in+an+85-15+victory+over+Pottstown.+

Photo courtesy of RCTV

Spring-Ford basketball player Lucy Olsen (left) is greeted by teammates after scoring her 1,000th point in an 85-15 victory over Pottstown.

Lauren Black, Staff Writer

Growing up playing basketball with one of the best players in Spring-Ford history wasn’t easy. Lucy Olsen has been someone I looked up to my whole basketball career. I would use her example to better my game, but I also dreaded having to play against her in practices. 

She was always one step ahead of everyone.

Still is. 

During a win over Pottstown in January, Olsen scored her 1,000th point in a 21-point performance. Every game since has been adding to that number for the point guard who could finish her career as one of Spring-Ford’s greatest ever.

The 1,000-point milestone was special for both fans and Olsen. 

““It didn’t feel like it was actually happening,” Olsen said. “I didn’t think it would happen so soon, so it was exciting and the energy in the gym was so high. My teammates were pumped as well, which made it special. It was a great time that I’ll remember forever.”

Being the first junior girl to ever get 1,000 points is amazing, and I don’t think anyone would argue with that. Olsen has natural talent, but that shouldn’t overshadow the fact that she worked extremely hard for this. Countless hours were spent on the court, in workouts, at late games, and at early practices. 

All the effort was to try to up her game.

“Lucy’s work ethic is second to none,” said coach Mickey McDaniel. “She is the last to leave practice as she works on her skill set. What we’ve seen over the last three years is her leadership growth into a leadership role.”

“Based on her work ethic and commitment to excellence, we are not surprised at her accomplishments and future accomplishments. But, honestly, more important to Lucy is the team’s success and that’s why she is a true leader.”

For Olsen it’s more than a game. It’s a lifestyle. She’s met some of her best friends on the court and has also made countless memories. Those bonds and ties cannot be broken.

It’s truly amazing to see how much she’s grown as a player and a person. Growing up with her also means that I have seen her personality. Not even for a second would I have a bad thing to say about Olsen. She could have 30 points in a game and I could have none, but she would still be trying to help me get better. Olsen is incredibly humble and kind to everyone. That is what I admire the most.

If you want to talk about what it means to be a student athlete, Lucy Olsen is the textbook definition. Although basketball is her main sport, she is also a tennis star. She also makes sure all her school work gets done and even takes classes above her grade level. 

When Olsen scored that 1,000th point I was there to witness it. The energy in the room completely rose and everyone was cheering. Her parents came on the court and her teammates rushed her with hugs. There were signs made and pictures taken. Lots of them. Olsen sure knows how to excite a gym and reacted to the energy with open arms. 

Olsen’s honor was definitely a moment she will never forget. 

Neither will I.