SF fall sports strong across board

As the temperature drops, the Spring-Ford fall sports teams’ seasons have all reached their conclusion. Out of the 10 possible, the Rams were crowned Pioneer Athletic Conference champions in three different sports. The Rams reigned supreme in girls’ tennis, girls’ golf, and football.
Here’s a look back at each team’s season…

Boys Soccer

The team came into this season with very high expectations. The Rams were flying high following their first state tournament birth, even though they fell in the first round following a heartbreaking, 1-0 loss. With returning players Collin Trainor, Brett Gulati, Ethan Mossip, and Brandon Duke, the team seemed bound to do great things.
Unfortunately, the Rams never really found their top form, finishing 14-4 and good enough for a first-round bye in districts. SF unfortunately fell in both the PAC Championship Game and their opening district game, ending their season.
Although their season ended early, the season had many things to remember. Senior winger Trainor broke the all-time assists record, and his counterpart Gulati tied the all-time goal scoring record. The four seniors mentioned above all finished on the PAC first team, and junior midfielders Connor Lynch and Thomas Bodenschatz were awarded with All-PAC second team honors.

Girls Soccer

In his second year in management, Mo Hadidi has propelled the girls soccer team one game short of the state tournament. The girls were recently eliminated in district play after losing to Unionville, missing out on qualifying for the state tournament. Nevertheless, the Rams had an amazing season in ending 15-6 while strongly contending for a PAC championship. The roster contained many talented players such as juniors Molly Thomas and Hope Flanegin, who both heavily contributed to the teams success. UMass commit Ella Curry leaves the program after four years of outstanding play. The Rams will look to continue their program’s development as they return their two All-PAC, first-team juniors and seem poised to make ano

ther run at the PAC Championship.

Boys Cross Country

The Rams’ runners were coming into this season with the hopes of winning their fourth PAC title in five years, but those hopes took a huge hit after No. 1 runner Johnny Zawislak ended up out for the season with a stress fracture.
The boys looked for other people to step up like Alex Fink, Anthony Bamford, Andrew Carlin, and freshman Quinn Smith. The Rams ended up finishing 3-2 heading into the PAC Championships, but they lost to Perkiomen Valley and Owen J. Roberts, placing them in third place.
The boys’ had good performances from Fink, who placed 5th with a time of 16:50, Carlin who ran 17:00 placing 13th, Smith running 17:08 to get a place of 16th, and Anthony Bamford who ran 17:20 placing 26th. At Districts, Fink was able to qualify for states for the first time in his high school career with a time of 16:28. At states, Fink was able to run a time of 17:34 on one of the most difficult courses in the nation and placed 152nd in the State meet.

Girls Cross Country

Coming into this season the girls knew it would be a tough year after losing two top seniors in Emily Smith and Ahila Moorthy, but they still hoped to get big things from seniors Devon Pytel and Nora Alberston, as well as junior Broke Donoghue. The Rams finished the season with a record of 2-3 heading into the PAC Championships. At the PAC Championships the girls were led by senior Nora Albertson who ran 20:20 and was able to place 14th.

Field Hockey

After finishing fourth last season with a record of 12-7-1 in the stacked PAC Liberty Division and ending the season on a heartbreaking loss to division rivals Owen J. Roberts ,the Girls had their sights set on improvement this year. Eve

n though the girls were hit hard by a loss of seniors, they looked to this senior class, led by Katie Crist, Ashley Della Guardia, Lauren Constantine, and Shannon Kennedy to lead them to a successful season.
The girls ended up improving their record by one game this season by finishing 13-6. They unfortunately weren’t able to make it into the Final Four of the PAC, but they did play well enough to qualify for districts.
The Rams crushed North Penn in their first District game, 3-1. Goals were scored by Crist, Mackenna Maloney, and Alexa Collins. This win against North Penn meant they would be playing Owen J. Roberts in the second round for the second year

in a row, and the girls played a

very good game to defensively slow down OJR’s high powered offense. Unfortunately, history repeated itself as Spring-Ford ended up losing on a heartbreaking goal in overtime, 1-0.

Girls’ Golf

For the first time in program history, the Spring-Ford Girls Golf Team won a PAC title this past season.
Led by Coach John Brennan, the team

was able to defeat Boyertown at Linfield National to clinch their PAC title. The team was led by freshman Nicole Yun, who ended up taking the league’s individual title with a score of 82. Senior Felicity Thatcher, juniors Bryn Borzillo, Katherine Bates and Aleena Ghanta, sophomore Alexa McPike, and ninth-graders Cierra Griffith and Morgan Kunze also played integral roles in the Rams’ ability to win a league title. The Rams’ return the majority of their winning team and will look to potentially make it farther into districts and repeat as champions next season.

Boys’ Golf

Per the usual, the Spring-Ford golf team had another strong season.
FInishing 9-1, the Rams seemed to be on a crashcourse to play the Methacton Warriors in the PAC final the entire season. The two teams did end up meeting, with the Rams falling just short and missing out on their PAC championship.
Paced by senior Luke Watson, sophomore Noah Kim, and senior Nate Pierce, the Rams qualified for team districts but ultimately were unable to make a state run. The Rams’ return some starpower for next year and will look to make some noise to win a PAC Championship in the 2020 season. An individual season to watch will be Watson’s, who will play his fourth season of varsity next year and hope to qualify for the state tournament, something he came only a few strokes short of this season.

Girls Tennis

The team came into this season with high hopes after winning the team PAC Championship last year, and the Rams didn’t lose many girls this past season because of how young the team is.
The girls were led by freshman Cady Krause, sophomore Isabel Mejia, seniors Emma Griffin and Riley Burke, and junior Lucy Olsen. The girls’ season was truly a successful year as first Krause took the singles PAC championship for the first time in program history, then Isabel Mejia and Riley Burke took the doubles PAC championship, and the girls won their second consecutive PAC Championship as a team.
Unfortunately, Spring-Ford lost to Kennett in the opening round of districts, but it doesn’t take away from their extremely successful season they had this year.

Volleyball

Despite not having the best of seasons, the girls volleyball team was able to achieve several accomplishments. The team managed to win five matches in conference, finishing with a respectable 5-8 record in the PAC.
The girls were led by seniors Rylee Clarke, Erin Mcgrann, and Paige Rothenberger. The core of the team will return next year as the majority of the roster contained underclassmen. The team is looking very promising with the amount of youth within the team.
Junior Maddie Lebiedzinski will be one of the leaders on the squad next year alongside the exciting young talents of sophomores Faith Hudon and Yy Li. Next season, the Rams are optimistic in competing for a PAC championship.